Sunday, January 25, 2009

You are Invited

In the comments of my previous post, I received a number of questions about what is Gilt Group, especially given the fabulous bargain I got. there.



In the past year, a number of "invitation-only" shopping sites have popped up and Gilt Group is one of these. Some others are Rue La La and Ideeli. The stated purpose of these sites is to provide steep discounts on designer pieces for women, men, children and home fashions. I have seen Valentino (obviously), Kate Space, Diane Von Furstenburg, Doo.ri, Zac Posen, Missoni and more. Ideeli also does great giveaways pretty often. I've seen Prada and Jimmy Choo bags and more.

The sites post sales on a small number of goods for a short amount of time, usually 24 - 36 hours, with pieces and sizes selling out fast. This not only helps to clear out pieces but it helps to keep the cache of the brand intact through the use of manufactured "exclusivity."

I would say that there is a definite air of marketing in this. It's far better for a designer brand to be sold, even at a deep discount, through an invitation site than to be hauled off to a Ross or a TJ Maxx. I also have to say that I have not done a huge amount of purchasing through these sites. Usually I forget to sign in and see what is available and when I do get there a lot of things are already sold. Also, I just haven't seen a lot that I've sparked to.

Like any non-standard shopping expedition, there is an element of luck. I will still pop-in to check them out because you never know.

Here are the websites, if you want to check them out:

Gilt Group

Rue La La

Ideeli

If you are interested in getting an invitation, just email me your email and I will send it out. My email is princesspoochie (at) shoedaydreams.com