Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Forward Thinking; Looking Back

One thing that I know about myself is that I have a tendency to dress pretty streamlined and conservative. While I like a wide variety of colors and unique details, underneath my clothes and shoes are pretty classic, maybe even boring by some standards. And I just no good at layering creatively.

This is why I love seeing what other ladies are wearing because they help me broaden my fashion horizions and get ideas for how I can bring great pieces, that I may not even have considered, into my wardrobe.

I'm very inspired by the modern chunkiness of Miss Nubby's selections, like these Marni sandals. She always has the best graphic combinations of clothes and shoes in colors that I love too, like red, black, green and grey.



Jane at Sea of Shoes (along with her mom) also has some amazing architectural pieces and a great way of wearing them - from casual to excessive.



I'm starting to branch into more unusual pieces and I directly contribute the inspiration to these women. They helped me to open my mind.

Left to my own devices I tend to chose retro, uber-girly, spindly pumps like these Kors Michael Kors "Lush" pumps in muted gold. These have a 1960s cocktail hour shape to them, and while I love them they are well within my comfort zone.



In the next year, I hope to add more pieces that move away from the obvious girly-ness that I default to. I like pieces in this aesthetic, I just need to move towards them more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! I know how you feel. I have all my bases covered when it comes to delicate wardrobe staples and don't want to invest in anything new now unless it's exceptionally subversive and unlike anything else I own. I am having a hard time with the covered wedges though. Remember those Alice + Olivia disasters from Payless though? They were such terrible quality I had to send them back! You do indeed get what you pay for. I'm saving my pennies for an extravagant summer wedge.... haven't made my mind up yet though. Sigh.

WendyB said...

It's always nice to branch out.