Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wish Upon A Tsar

I've been falling more and more in love with Alexander McQueen's runway shows. Along with Lacroix and Galliano, he appeals to my excessive embellished soul. When I was looking at his Fall show I felt that he was channeling the rich looks of traditional Russian folk dress and the decadence of the court of the Tsars.


The tooled leather tall boots would be perfect under heavy wool ankle legth skirts.



The rich reds and golds of this Legend bag seem pulled from Ivanov's painting of the Tsar's procession.


There's no mistaking the Fabergé influence in McQueen's Empire clutch.


Not that I'm a big fan of fur but this leather, velvet, fur and ebroidery embellished Fable bag looks as if it was pulled from a portrait of Catherine the Great.




I love these heels drenched with soutache trimwork. They look like they were pulled straight from the headdresses and folk dress.



Most people experience love, without noticing that there is anything remarkable about it.
Doctor Zhivago

I will be the first to say that I am no expert in Russian history or cultural influences. These are solely my perceptions.

Would that even a fraction of these details make it into a pairing at Target.

1 comment:

Milly said...

Amazing boots and the bag as well